Title: “How To Respond To Bizarre Job Interview Questions”
More and more companies are following Google’s trend of asking weird interview questions.
“Describe the colour yellow to a blind person.”
“What would you do if you were the only survivor in a plane crash?”
“If you woke up and had 2,000 unread emails and could only answer 300 of them how would you choose which ones to answer?”
Although they are seemingly irrelevant to the role you are interviewing for, these questions are intended to show how you tackle problems. So if you are good at thinking on your feet, then these should be a piece of cake for you.
A short excerpt:
“The situation he encountered in his telephone interview isn’t uncommon – some recruiters and hiring managers will purposely ask somewhat bizarre questions, just to see how a candidate will respond.
In most cases, there isn’t a perfect answer. What they’re looking for is your thought process, creativity and problem-solving skills. They want to understand how you would think through a difficult situation.”
When asked out of the blue, these questions might throw you off. Here are a few tips that might help you answer these oddball questions.
- You can never be completely prepared for these kind of questions but make sure you don’t go completely unprepared! Practice answering questions like these with your friends or family.
- However absurd the question may seem, do not laugh. Remember that the interviewer is serious and is watching your reaction.
- Do not start talking right away. Take a minute to think about the question. Is it intended to test your analytical capabilities or your behaviour? Answer accordingly.
- Avoid giving one-word replies. In most cases, there is no perfect answer. The interviewer wants to know how you have arrived at your conclusion.
- Ask for more information. This will show that you take control of the situation and do not just jump the gun.
Read the original article at: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lisaquast/2015/07/13/job-seekers-how-to-respond-to-bizarre-job-interview-questions/